Cowbridge RFC | 1st Team 22 - 12 Hirwaun RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
24 March 2018 / Team News

Back to winning ways against Hirwaun


Last Saturday Cowbridge entertained Hirwaun at the Athletic Field and were given a real scare as Hirwaun came back from 15-0 down to 15-12 before Cowbridge scored the all important 4th try to secure the win

Cowbridge started with purpose with runs by prop Jamie Williams and captain Richie Howson. Then a great run initially by centre James Bennett produced recycled ball and it was moved right through hands, Alex Guard at outside half missed one, full back Ben Wright in the line made the extra man for wing Will Williams to score in the corner. The tricky conversion by Wright went just wide. Hirwaun had their moments through the forwards and gained a penalty chance that also went wide. On the 30 minute mark a burst by second row Jack Anderson  was taken on by Wright who beat 3 or 4 men before a high tackle stopped him. From the penalty hooker Craig Boxall drove forward the momentum was continued by second  row Ross Gibbon before the ball was again moved right, Wright was again in the line and centre Bennett with a show and go crossed the white wash for an unconverted try. Half time 10-0. Committee man Rhod Thomas took looking after the Ref, usually after the match, to another level by chatting to him in the middle of the pitch . 

In the second half Hirwaun came out of the gate with real intent with spells in the Cowbridge 22 that needed great defence to repel. After 10 minutes changes saw Kieran David and Zac Summerhayes  enter the battle. Another good run by Howson was taken on by Bennett to get back into Hirwaun's 22m.   Rhys Price came on at hooker with Boxall moving to prop. On 15 minutes a tap penalty in Hirwaun's 22 m was driven on by Gibbon then quickly moved to the left by scrum half Hywel Williams for Will Williams to get his brace. But Hirwaun fought back and scored two good tries of their own after battering the Cowbridge line, first through the strong  no 7 and 5 minutes later through their scrum half which was also converted to bring a nerve jangling score line of 15-12 with 5 minutes to play. The urgency of the position galvanised Cowbridge and they swept up field . No 8 Dan Holder drove for the line , a maul formed and the ball came out on Hirwaun's side but their clearing kick was charged down by Price who was also held back from a certain score as the ball crossed Hirwaun's try line. The referee bravely awarded a penalty try. But that wasn't quite it as at the end Price was shown a red for swinging a punch, the referee having issued the kick that promoted that. Final score 22-12

Cowbridge were far from their best but Hirwaun had some excellent players particularly up front and it was a hard fought victory. Importantly this was a bonus point win.


The Youth had an excellent win against St Peters . The coaches were delighted with the play of the front five forwards  whose direct running set up numerous opportunities for the other  players. All the players played well and there were some great tries but the third one was sweet  started by Max Lucas and then taken on by prop Dan Taylor to crash over . Dan was outstanding throughout and also set up the last try for centre Jack Roberts. Final score 39-0. 

This Saturday both teams have tough away fixtures. The 1st XV take on Caerau Ely away. Caerau have won their last five games. The Youth take on an always strong Cardiff Met side so best of luck to both teams.  Kick offs at 2.30pm

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos